The members of IATSE Local 58 were locked out by the Exhibition Place Board of Governors on July 20th, in a blatant attempt to bust their union. IATSE member are stagehands who set up and run sound, lighting and staging for performances and sporting events. Most of this work is “on call” – responding to the flexible schedules of events during the year. The employer is seeking to gut the union security clause and allow event operators to use non-union contractors or agencies to take over this work. The union has offered go to binding arbitration in order to end the dispute, but the employer is refusing. Councillor Mark Grimes Chairs the Board of Governors, and has overseen the imposition of the lockout with the full support of Mayor John Tory. Non-union crews were brought in from out of town to set up the entire CNE.
On Tuesday, there will be a special City Council meeting to hear a report on the CNE situation. This was spearheaded by Councillor Layton who was able to get 23 Councillors to agree to a meeting – the same motion that was defeated two weeks ago.
URGENT! HELP STOP FORD’S
RUTHLESS ATTACK ON
TAKE IMMEDIATE ACTIONNever in Canadian history has a politician tried to highjack democracy by changing rules in the middle of an election. If the Conservatives get away with this, there will be no restraints on other attacks on workers’ rights, pensions, labour law, public services, education….
If you don’t want Ontario’s government to mirror Donald Trump’s behaviour, the time to act is NOW!
The next few days are crucial! YOU CAN...
The people of Toronto saw nothing but chaos when the Fords ran City Hall, or when the Conservative ran the province last time. Cancelled transit lines, boarded up housing and crumbling schools are the legacy of that experience. We cannot afford four more years of chaos in Toronto or Ontario.
- Go to www.progresstoronto.ca/stopford to sign the petition
- Come to Queen’s Park visitors galleries at 10:30 am on Monday July 30 when legislation is introduced
- Or come to City Hall at 2 pm Monday July 30 as Council debates what legal action to take
- Contact your MPP – let them know you disagree with what is going on – go to www.ola.org/en/members/current
- Contact your City Councillor and demand they vote to defend Toronto and speak against Ford’s move www.toronto.ca/city-government/council/members-of-council
- Follow @torontolabour, @progresstoronto and www.facebook.com/LabourCouncil to keep up with breaking news and actions
THIS IS IMPORTANT - SPEAK OUT & PROTECT YOUR TORONTO !